Thursday, January 23, 2014

What Does it Mean to be Human?

I have been thinking a lot lately about what actually makes humans unique. Some people say the distinction comes with language, but other animals have ways to communicate. Our bodies obviously differentiate us from these animals, but how much of our humanity comes from physical appearance? Maybe it is our emotion, rationale, or morals that create "humanity." Interested in the answer to this question, I searched for some concrete set of distinguishing traits. This article  outlines some physical characteristics.

While I was reading through the traits, I thought about robots like these. They have almost human features, and certainly look the part. Yes, robots don't have human brains, or the capability to think for themselves, but that is a short time coming. Animal DNA is already being replicated to produce meats, and with 3D printing and other technologies, fake humans are not impossible. Which brings up another aspect of the question of what is "human"- clones.

I recently watched "Never Let Me Go," a sci-fi film about clones who were only created as organ donors. Their whole "life" is centered around expending parts of themselves as they are not considered humans by the other people in the movie. However, they experience human emotion and awareness just as any other humans. Their most human aspect, in my opinion, is their ability and readiness to love, proving they are more than just clones. The audience can see that although they were created artificially, they are pretty individual in their thoughts and actions- a very human characteristic. This reminds me of "Robbie."Although he doesn't look human like the clones, he seems to experience human emotion, and even thinks for himself. Does something have to be made organically in order to be considered human?

There is a new movie coming out which comes at this question from a different angle. As far as I can tell, "Transcendence" involves a man who downloads his brain onto a computer as his body starts to die. Although he loses his body, his brain seems to remain human. However, he models the ever-blurring line between technology and humanity as his computer/brain becomes increasingly powerful. Yes, his body is not human, but his brain, and therefore his consciousness, is. At what point does humanity stop?

As technology becomes more advanced, and clones/ genetically modified humans become more plausible for medical reasons, I become more and more confused by what makes humans distinct. Though my exploration, I developed even more questions, not finding an answer I agreed with. However, I personally have yet to come in contact with any of these closely human examples. For the time being, I guess I will continue to define humanity as the traits I see in myself and everyone I know.


3 comments:

  1. Meera- It's my intention to problematize the simple distinctions we tend to draw between human, natural, and technological. This post suggests some success. You connect this to useful outside sources and end w/ a movie, like "Her" that also raises these questions. I have no answers here, but I hope these questions will inform our readings of the rest of the texts this term. A strong entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the fall semester english class, Utop/Dystop, we read the book Never Let Me Go. I too have watched the movie, and the book even more so than the movie shows the human side of these clones. They are technically human, but are not treated as such. It is interesting to note the distinction between homosapien and human in this sense, because they physically are identical to us, but are treated completely differently, and have no rights to their name. I like that you mentioned this movie because its kind of the reserve of a lot of the videos we have seen, where machines seem human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it. Good job. Very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete